In the world of cyber crime, one of the most prevalent and dangerous attacks is A DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack is a malicious.... Cyber criminals Remote Access Trojan (RAT): A type of malware that provides ... vulnerabilities in web applications to gain unauthorized access to user sessions, often resulting in devastating consequences. Uncovering the underworld of Intrusion Detection System (IDS): A system that monitors net... is essential in order to protect sensitive information and prevent future attacks.
Understanding Session Hijacking
Session hijacking, also known as session theft or
Wh..., is a method used by hackers to impersonate legitimate users in an ongoing session. By gaining access to a user’s session identifier, hackers can take control of their account and perform malicious activities. This can include stealing Swatting: A harassment tactic where a perpetrator deceives a..., conducting unauthorized Smart Contract: A self-executing contract with the terms of ..., or even gaining administrative privileges on a website.
Types of Session Hijacking
There are multiple techniques that cyber criminals employ to carry out session hijacking:
- Session Sidejacking: Using packet sniffing or network HTTPS (HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure): An extension of ... techniques, hackers intercept cookies and session identifiers to gain unauthorized access to a user’s session.
- Session Replay: Attackers record and replay a user’s session, allowing them to replicate the actions performed by the legitimate user and gain unauthorized access.
- Man-in-the-Middle (MITM) Attacks: By intercepting the communication between the user and the web Tor (The Onion Router): Free software for enabling anonymous..., hackers can insert themselves in the middle and steal session information.
- Session Fixation: Attackers trick users into using a predefined session identifier, allowing the hacker to easily hijack the session.
Preventing Session Hijacking
Protecting user sessions from hijacking requires a multi-layered approach:
- E2E Encryption (End-to-End Encryption): A system of communic... Practices: Developers should follow secure Digital Native: A person born during the age of digital tech... practices and ensure that all user inputs are properly validated and sanitized.
- Session GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation): A regulation intr...: Implementing secure Session Hijacking: An attack where an unauthorized user take... techniques such as using HTTPS, encrypting Incognito Mode: A privacy setting in web browsers that preve..., and utilizing secure session tokens can prevent session hijacking.
- Strong Public Key Infrastructure (PKI): A framework that manages di... Mechanisms: Implementing Brute Force Attack: A trial and error method used by applica..., CAPTCHAs, and account lockouts can make it more difficult for attackers to gain unauthorized access to user sessions.
- Periodic Session Data Retention: Policies that determine how long data should...: Regularly monitoring user sessions and detecting any suspicious activity can help identify session hijacking attempts early on.
Session hijacking is a serious threat that can lead to significant financial and reputational damage for individuals and organizations. By understanding the various techniques used by cyber criminals and implementing preventive measures, we can uncover the underworld of session hijacking and protect ourselves from falling victim to these attacks.
|Types of Session Hijacking||Preventive Measures|
|Session Sidejacking||Secure coding practices|
|Session Replay||Session encryption|
|Man-in-the-Middle Attacks||Strong authentication mechanisms|
|Session Fixation||Periodic session monitoring|